Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I thought it was a Bird...



So, I don't "do" resolutions, but...I have resolved to read more books this year.

Way back when, I used to be an avid reader- I would churn through a few books a week and just wanted to  disappear into the Library. I still love reading, but like most of my mid-20s friends, am still a good bit burnt out from all the book-learnin' I did while in college. Also, the amount of brain cells killed off by my college drinking habits.

So, we are officially 8 days into the New Year and I've read/finished 2 books thus far.

1. "Kindred" by Octavia Butler (which I technically started at the end of last year and finished around the end of it, but it counts, no?); a book about time travel and slavery. very interesting, very depressing.


2. "Let's Pretend this Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess- also, a book that I started last year but finished yesterday!  Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious.  Laugh out loud funny.




Next up: 


"The Casual Vacancy" by JK Rowling.  C'mon, y'all. It's JK-Fucking-Rowling. She wrote Harry-fucking-Potter. I really-fucking-love her.


"This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper - came highly recommended.



"To Marry an English Lord" by Gail MacColl -credited as one of the inspirations for one of my favorite programs, "Downton Abbey." Parents picked it up for me for Christmas. Should be a good read to satiate my inner-history nerd.



And then I have a whole bunch of other books that I've picked up over the last four years that I haven't finished or read. I'm just a big nerd who goes to book stores, picks up books that look awesome, and then sets them to the side for, erm, "later." But I suppose the future/ "later" is now and I should get a-readin' before my brain turns to mush from all the TLC trash reality shows I've been putting on the television. I mean, it's probably a bad sign when your boyfriend recognizes that you've already watched an episode of "Four Weddings" before you do because he swears up and down he's seen you watch that aforementioned episode at least three times now. Whoops?



Anywho, that's a sign that it's time to click off the television and open up a book. Plus, it might help me clear my mind at the end of a stressful day, right? Right?




Anyone have any book suggestions for me? If so, put your recommendations in the comments!!! 



xoxoC


No comments:

Post a Comment