Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6 June 2012

Today, a friend posted this article and asked her ladies to respond to it.

It's called "Ten Very Good Reasons You Aren't Married Yet."

Now, I had to read this having been in a relationship for the last 2.5 years with no ring on the finger and a load of relatives scratching their heads. They don't understand why I haven't gotten engaged or married yet let alone why I live with my boyfriend. Every holiday and family event, *it* comes up- you know, the bit where your grandparents tell you that they are near death and you better get married so they can rest peacefully in their graves? Granted, they've been using that on me for 10 years now, but it's still uncomfortable when they tell me I better get married now so they can, literally, die happy.

I have to agree with a lot of points made in this article- weddings are expensive and I'm not where I feel that I need to be as a person yet for such a commitment.  But I feel like such a hypocrite when I go on my "not getting married" rants- I love weddings. Weddings are lovely and fun with a sense of voyeurism experienced on other couples and families.

I love watching wedding shows and going onto Pinterest in search of great "ideas." I watch Four Weddings on TLC and judge the weddings as if I were really there, in attendance. Is that sad? Probably. I just really love all the aspects of a wedding- the couple's story, the style, the color schemes, the food, and the dancing. I like to see people in the happiest moments of their lives. This is probably my "girliest" quality- the squeakiness I get over weddings. The joy I get in pouring over a new issue of Martha Stewart Weddings.

Is anyone else this way about weddings? Or is it just me and my weirdness?


1 comment:

  1. I am the EXACT same way about weddings. Love watching the shows, the magazines, looking at ideas on pinterest browsing for dresses and e-rings... ugh.

    But so not getting married anytime soon- living with The Prince is enough right now :)

    ReplyDelete